Wednesday, March 27, 2013

this thing called fear, an unwanted companion.

There's this unwanted traveler that sometimes sneaks up behind us as we walk this journey; this thing makes a real nuisance out of himself by following us like a dark cloud. You may know him from your own journey--he's known as Fear. When Fear is around, he clutches my heart with an iron clad grip, and he settles in my mind cluttering my thoughts and refusing to budge.

As if that's not bad enough, Fear never comes alone; he always brings Doubt as his traveling companion. Together Fear and Doubt make me wonder if we are ever going to bring the baby we love so much home where he belongs. Fear and Doubt cause me to question the One who has called us. Fear and Doubt make sure my focus is anywhere but on God's promises. Fear and Doubt make the ache in my heart more pronounced.

Thankfully, though, I know just the thing that drives out Fear and his little friend, Doubt. God's word. Not only does it free me of these unwanted traveling companions, it soothes my aching heart and gives me hope for the rest of this journey.

"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10

No comments:

Post a Comment