Sunday, June 15, 2014

to the best father we know

The day he became a father was a day over two years in the making.  A day that had seemed at times like it wasn't going to happen.  A day that required a flight half-way around the world.  A day containing excitement mixed with grief and trauma.  A day he fell in love with the little boy who stole his heart.  The day he became a father was a day that forever changed the way I look at him.

You've heard me say before that custody day was extremely difficult.  Sam was screaming; I was crying (and probably on the verge of screaming).  I remember looking at Jeremy as he stood there holding our hands, and he said in a very matter of fact voice, "It's going to get better."  In that moment of emotional meltdown, he provided exactly what I needed to hear--a confident, quiet faith that we were going to make it through. My respect and love for him grew exponentially in that moment.  Jeremy, thank you for being such an amazing father to our sweet boy!!!

If Sam could put the words together, I'm sure he would say something like, "Happy Father's Day!  Thank you for teaching me how to shoot my cowboy gun and for how to make huge balls of playdough that I can throw while mom's not looking.  Thank you for always making time to play choo-choos and blocks with me (You really are the Master Builder.)  And, thank you for teaching me how to catch a football and to say, "hut-hut."  Now I'm ready for college football!"

"The quality of a father can be seen in the goals, dreams, and aspirations he sets not only for himself but for his family."






1 comment:

  1. Great husbands and fathers are such blessings! I love your post and the recent update you gave. So nice to see the other side of the hard places that you went through just a few short months ago.

    ReplyDelete