Thursday, June 19, 2014

sam's money jars

When we were home a few weeks ago, my Aunt Maxine and Uncle Deloy gave Sam $10. Once we got back to TN , his little, train-obsessed self couldn't resist buying a choo-choo.  Now whenever Sam hears the word "money" or sees it, he starts saying, "Choo-choo?"

Always up for a teachable moment, today I taught Sam the two year old's version of what to do with money.  I didn't use fancy curriculum or books or a long drawn out speech.  I simply used some clip art, empty jars, and very basic vocabulary to teach him the three things we do with money:  give to church, save some, spend some on things like choo-choos.  Of course, I also gave him some money to put in his jars :).

At two years old, he doesn't know a penny from a quarter and a one dollar bill is the same as 'ole Ben Franklin, but that doesn't matter right now.  What matters is that we take every opportunity we're given to teach him what is right and true--a daunting task for sure but one that I know God is continually equipping us for!

"Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old, he will not depart from it."  Proverbs 22:6


No comments:

Post a Comment