Sunday, February 21, 2016

a tender heart

When God made Sam, He put in him a very tender heart.  This is on full display when he realizes that he's hurt someone else*.

In Sunday School this morning, he had a Type A Control Freak moment and tried to show another little boy how to use the hole puncher.  (The other little boy didn't ask for help....Sam just insist on showing others how/what to do. I have no idea where he gets this from...)

He ended up squishing the little boy's finger :(.  I told Sam to say he is sorry since he hurt his friend.  The words were barely out his mouth when the tears started to fall.

The same happens at home.  The one that causes the largest water works display is when he's in trouble, and we tell him that it hurts our hearts when he acts ugly.  Big, fat tears fall.

This morning, seeing Sam get so upset over hurting his friend made me think of how I act after I realize I have hurt someone else.  When my words have been anything but kind.  When my actions could be described as all but loving.

When I sin, it hurts God's heart....but do I have the same tearful, remorseful response as a little 4 year old who realizes that his actions have hurt his parents' hearts?  I am afraid that my tender heart isn't as tender as I like to think it is.  Oh, that God would tenderize my heart and remove the callouses formed there, that my response when faced with my wrongdoing would be one of remorse and repentance. Afterall, He offers forgiveness, grace, and mercy in abundance to each and every heart tender enough to come to Him.



*Someone else does not apply to the cat...we are still working on saying sorry to the cat and meaning it....








No comments:

Post a Comment