Saturday, May 9, 2015

what, honey?

There are days when I hear my mother's voice coming out of my mouth, and it always gives me pause until I realize it's not my mother that I 'm hearing but my own voice calling forth those all too familiar words like, "Because I said so" or "If I tell you one more time" (a classic).

The other day I was taken by complete surprise when I heard MY voice coming from a certain little boy.

"Sam?" I say as I stand at the sink doing dishes.

"What, honey?" he promptly replies from the spot where he's meddling in the cabinet.

Really??  Did he just answer me with a what honey???  I'm so in for it if he's already sounding like a grown up!

This little episode with Sam gave me a laugh, but it also reminded me of how much he is watching and listening to Jeremy and me.  May the words that come out of our mouths be words of encouragement and truth.  May they be spoken with kindness and gentleness.  Piece of cake, right? ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment