Sunday, November 9, 2014

friday night special: out of the freezer

What do you cook for the Friday night supper when you're up to your ears in birthday party preparations??  The answer is simple:  you reach way back into your freezer and pull out the Korean Beef Stew that you thought to freeze for a day like this.  And, then you say to yourself, "yep, that is mom of the year worthy." ;)

The biggest birthday prep we had going on Friday was the cake, which is kind of a big deal at a birthday party.  Like so many people, I bought what Pinterest was selling:  the idea that "you can make this fill in the blank and it will look like this!  Just follow this simple tutorial."

I was up to my eyebrows in cake frosting before I realized that I have ZERO cake decorating abilities.  Baking them?  Sure.  Decorating them?  Absolutely not.  (Oh, how easy it was to forget this truth after too much time spent browsing Pinterest cake ideas.)

But, when it's the night before the party, quitting is not an option and neither is ordering one from the local Publix.  So, I kept slathering the frosting on until I had something that faintly resembled a cake that I had seen on Pinterest.

Thankfully, Sam did not care that his cake looked nothing like a professional had made it.  Nor, did he care that it barely resembled that Pinterest cake.  He won't remember these things, but I do hope he remember the fun we had making it!

(Party pics coming soon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment