Tuesday, May 6, 2014

walk a while in these shoes

I was vacuuming this morning, and I moved Sam's new shoes from behind his basketball goal, where they've been  laying all alone for weeks, collecting dust.  I'm waging war on the dust bunnies and notice he's playing with a shoe.  "Oh, look, he's playing with one of them--Yay! He's actually showing an interest in them," I thought.

The chores were done, and I was getting him dressed to go play outside.  "What if..," I thought.  So, I casually told him to go get the shoes and put them on.  (His black ones were in another room, leaving just the news ones in view.)  Imagine my shock when he DID IT!!  Yippee, I'm thinking...and inwardly I dance toward the door.  On the way, he spots his shoes and told me he was "all done" with the new ones...oh, no, here it goes--except I asked if I could take his picture before he changed shoes.  I really intended to let him change shoes after the pictures, but he forgot about it and took off toward the door.  Back to dancing toward the door as I bask in the glow of progress.

Once outside, he walked around for awhile like a newborn baby calf and at one point actually started  limping when I told him to use his new shoes to kick the ball.

There's no telling if he'll do the same tomorrow or not, but that's okay because, no matter what, we'll celebrate this step forward.

I'll keep you posted ;).

1 comment:

  1. Yay for Sam! Celebrating little steps with you :)

    ReplyDelete