Saturday, October 19, 2013

where expectations fade into the background

I had quite a few expectations for this Fall.  The colors, temperatures, and activities unique to Fall were going to the be the backdrop for our season of firsts.

There was going to be shopping expeditions to find the perfect costume for the church Harvest Fest.

Birthday party planning was going to be taking place at a frenzied pace.

Saturday  morning Panera dates with the cutest little boy on the planet were going to happen.

 That same cute little boy, clad in purple and gold, would be cheering for the Tigers alongside his daddy.

The countdown to Christmas would be experienced through the eyes of a two year old.

The transition from family of 2 to family of 3 was supposed to be in full swing.

Fall is here, and with it came a host of unmet expectations.  Disappointed doesn't even begin to describe it.

I know I'm not the first, nor the last, person on this planet who has experienced disappointment so deep that an ache develops in one's soul.  But, what's the remedy for an ache in the soul?  Where do you go when life leaves you weary of waiting for expectations to be fulfilled?  What do you do when you feel like a hope deferred is the only kind of hope that you have?

It's to the Father that I must go--taking the disappointments, expectations, and weariness with me.  It's here that I'll learn to trust His timing and His plan for our family; only then will my expectations fade into the background as I wait on Him.






No comments:

Post a Comment