Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Mans Best Friend!

Well, I figured I was due for a blog post/letter to Sam. This has been on my mind for a few days.

Sam, every little fella needs a dog. Not just any dog but a good outside, play & wrestle with, follow you around protector kind of dog. When I was young I had a Australian Sheppard named Lady. I would play with her every day and she would follow me everywhere I went on my bike and stay with me until I came home. If I had stayed at a friend's house down the road, she would stay at their front door until I walked out.  Every person in our family has and will always had dogs. Its a part of our family. I was really hoping you would get to know and play with Splash. She was my buddy, I've had her since just before Sarah and I got married. No matter what biblical scholars may say, I hope the ole saying is true and that all dogs go to heaven. I've never had a dog like Splash she was very special to Sarah and I. When we moved to Tennessee she came with us and lived in our apartment. Sarah would say when I started going on tour Splash would not eat for days and sleep in front of the door waiting for me to get home.  When we moved into our first house from the apartment Splash got to move outside and live in a large pen with a shop/barn as shelter. She loved being outside after living inside for 5 years. When we bought the house there was one thing in the shed where Splash would live. It was an old wooden chair. No one knows this but in addition to feeding and playing the occasional game of rope (aka tug of war) with her most every day, I would sometimes go sit in that old chair and talk to her like she was a human. It may sound goofy, but not to me. She would sit beside me and when I had something on my mind, it always helped just sitting out there and telling Splash about it. I know she had no idea what I was saying, but she did a great job of listening.

I tell ya all this because I want you to know the love and respect having a dog can teach you. They can teach you many things as a little guy growing up. They can be your best playmate as you play things like war in the yard. They can be your wrestling partner, napping partner, and guardian at times. I can't wait for you to experience those things.


When you get here we will spend many hours playing with Cain and Pepper the big Newfoundlands, whom will be bigger than you until you're probably in high school. And if your anything like me, they will be one of your closest companions. Remember your dog isn't just a dog, it's your most loyal friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment