Saturday, August 17, 2013

the blessings of being still

Hurry.  It is a word that runs through my mind too much & very often comes out of my mouth.

Hurry up; we can't be late.

I need to hurry and finish this; I have many more things on my to-do list.

Yes, you can tell me about ______, but do so quickly; we need to get started on our assignment.

If I hurry, I can squeeze in a few minutes of "quiet time" to hear what God has to say.

God, can you hurry this period of waiting and bring Sam home already??

Hurrying through life is incompatible with the some of the most precious times in life * holding hands and walking in step with a two year old * patiently waiting while a fiercely independent toddler says, "me do it." * taking time to listen to him as he "reads" the book to mom and dad * extending bath time because he's having so much fun * recognizing opportunities to model for one sweet boy what it looks like to be still and wait patiently on God.

When Sam comes home, I don't want to be so hurried that I miss these precious times with my sweet boy.  I want to be still and soak up the love of my Heavenly Father while thanking Him for the joys of motherhood.

What if God is using this period of waiting to eradicate this desire that I have to hurry through life in the name of getting things done?

What if, during this period of waiting, I am supposed to be learning how to be still??

No comments:

Post a Comment