Saturday, July 20, 2013

those Saturday nights when I was little

There's something about my mother--she loves Southern Gospel music, particularly the Gaithers and because of this, I spent each Saturday night growing up watching the Gaither Homecoming Hour on t.v.  (Remember the days when there was only one t.v. per household...)

Saturday night Gaither hour wasn't enough for my mother though.  We also had to listen to them in the car, and if she sang in church, you guessed it--she sang a Gaither song.  Trust me when I say that copious amounts of Southern Gospel music filled my childhood**.

You can't have years worth of these experiences and not know all songs Gaither.  So, last Sunday when our choir started singing Because He Lives, I was transported back to those Saturday nights spent watching the Gaithers with my mother.  But, I didn't stay in the past for long.  When they started singing the words, "because I know He holds the future" my mind was back in the present as God used this old, familiar song to remind me of some things--

Because I know He holds the future, I can trust Him during this time of waiting.

Because I know He holds the future, I will trust Him to bring Sam home.

Because I know He holds the future, I can live in his perfect peace--no matter the circumstance.

Because I know He holds the future, my hope is in Him.


**I think my mother and her love of Southern Gospel music are wonderful; both warm my heart :)!

No comments:

Post a Comment