Sunday, July 9, 2017

calling for help

{Months ago, I taught Sam his address, how to call 911, and what to do in an emergency.}

Yesterday, the neighbor's puppy found his way under our car tire, and little did we know that to Sam, this constituted an emergency.  A 911 kind of emergency.

After profusely apologizing to the deputy, reassuring Sam, and moving past the embarrassment that I felt for leaving out the "for people only"  did I hear the Holy Spirit whispering to my heart.

Sam saw an emergency and needed help.  He called the one number he knew that would send help.  There was no running around like Chicken Little.  No tears or panic.  He just went and got my phone to get help.  (I kinda wished there would have been some Chicken Little behavior, so I would have had a clue into his thoughts and prevented the call...)

When I am in a difficult situation and in need of help, I should do like Sam and calmly call on the One who can send that help.  Instead, I run around like Chicken Little making the situation worse or trying to fix things myself.  Only after failing at my own attempts do I call the One who promises the help that I need.

I like to think that I am teaching Sam all sorts of things--like what to do in an emergency.  Really though, God is using this child of mine to teach me all sorts of things.  God is using motherhood to hold a mirror up to my heart and show me more about myself and Him than I thought possible.  Thankfully, He is a gentle and patient teacher, all wise and all knowing.  He not only has hindsight but foresight that is 20/20.



Note:
The puppy looks like he will be okay after a week or so of taking it easy!

Sam now knows that 911 is for people emergencies only.

No comments:

Post a Comment