Thursday, October 9, 2014

out of the scraps

I had an idea for a quilt and knew just what fabric was needed.  Instead of making a trip to the store,  I turned to my drawer of fabric scraps.  That's right--scraps were going to be used to make this entire quilt top.  After rescuing a nice large pile of scraps from their life of uselessness in the top drawer, I stood looking at them and mentally arranging them in my mind.  It was then that the word redemption popped into my mind.  Yes, they would be redeemed into something more than scrap drawer dwellers.  They would become something else entirely with little resemblance to the pile of scraps they once were.

Spending time working with this hodge-podge of fabric pieces reminded me of how life can be--full of mess-ups, leftovers, and scraps with no clear purpose or direction.  A depressing thought to be sure and especially so if left there, but....we're called to be more than inhabitants of the scrap drawer.

And, thankfully, we have a Redeemer, who through His sacrifice, is willing and able to deliver us from it--using our scraps to give us a life of beauty and meaning.  Now that is true redemption!

This quilt was made for a child who lives in a Guatemalan orphanage.  I do not know who he is or anything about him, but I know the One who formed him in the womb.  Will you join me in praying for the sweet little boy who receives this quilt?  May it bring him comfort and may he know the redeeming love of His Creator (and the love of a forever family soon).


No comments:

Post a Comment